Courseware Back-to-School Planning Guide
Courseware Back-to-School Planning Guide
Learning in this upcoming back-to-school season will certainly have a different look than it’s had in the past. Whether you’re kickstarting a new implementation of Edmentum Courseware or picking up right where you left off last school year, we want to make sure that you have resources available to get this new school year started off right—despite the quick pivots COVID-19 may require.
We’ve put together our top suggestions to help you set up your account for the coming semester, explore the top features your program has to offer, and spotlight best practices from stories of successful implementations.
Prepare Your Account for the New Year
Our wonderful consultants and customer support team are only a call away and are happy to guide you through some of the initial steps needed to get your implementation off the ground. But, we also want to empower you to know just where to go for some helpful, easy-to-follow how-to resources.
1. Review updates: No matter if you’re brand new to Courseware or a Courseware expert, you’ll want to check out the What’s New Page to view what new features have recently become available and see what enhancements are on the horizon.
2. Manage users: Each new school year says goodbye to graduating classes and ushers in new educators and new students. Account administrators will want to remove the students who have graduated, promote current students who have moved up a grade level, and import new students and educators into the program.
3. Manage sections: While account admins can adjust teachers and students into the system from the Administration Center, individual teachers have the ability to manage their own section. This is the perfect time to update sections and classrooms and manage students within these sections.
4. Know where to find self-help: When in doubt, visit the Help Center! The Help Center is a purple button you will often see on the top right of your screen. You’ll find simple, self-service resources like user guides; short, step-by-step instruction documents; and best-practice videos. At the bottom of the Help Center window, you’ll see a link to our dedicated Support Site, where you’ll find our most popular support materials and be able to use the search bar to locate specific topics.
Explore Our Favorite Features
Many of the neat, new features we have available in Courseware are inspired by the educators who have given us feedback on what they’d like to see to enhance their experience. Here are a few of our favorite features that benefit students, instructors, and admins.
1. Student Toolbar: The student toolbar (found within tutorials and tests) contains helpful features, such as highlighter options to support reading and retention, a glossary of course terminology, guided notes on certain courses, a click-to-speak feature to visually see sentences and words highlighted while spoken aloud, and a translation tool that supports 18 languages.
2. Flex Assignments: This functionality allows increased flexibility for instructors to find and assign customized content directly to individual learners, groups, or the entire class. This tool is perfect for differentiation, remediation, acceleration, intervention, and whole-class subject, as instructors can easily monitor progress along the way.
3. Administration Dashboard: From the administration dashboard, admins can view a quick program snapshot of courses, program usage, and program performance. Access to managing courses and managing students has been integrated into this dashboard, as it’s a feature frequently used by admins.
4. Gradebook: Our gradebook makes streamlined daily management of online learning even easier. Instructors can save time through auto-generated grading templates for each course section and through visibility into individual student grades (for the overall course and for individual learning activities) to easily monitor progress and gather actionable data needed to address individual learning.
5. Student Course Paths: This new student view offers students quick insights into their pacing and allows them to review detailed performance information to make informed decisions about what to work on next, how to prioritize activities, performance impacts, and goals
Learn from Others’ Success
We frequently have the honor of hearing from our terrific customers across the country, and they’re all too eager to explain how they’ve made the program successful via presenting credit recovery programs and CTE programs and expanding course offerings to students (to name just a few ways schools have successfully used Courseware). Check out some of our favorite Courseware success stories here!
- "We think everyone should have a five-star life. Edmentum is helping us do that because we’re tapping into each individual student’s gift. We continue to shoot for the best we can do. That’s the mentality we want our students to have."
—Dr. Tyrana Battle, Assistant Superintendent at Halifax County School District
- "Edmentum literally was our foundational curriculum. The content was so rich that we didn’t have to search for supplemental text. When we were able to see, 'Wow, this has everything you need,' it became our actual textbook for the curriculum."
—Dawn Bowles, Principal at Millwood High School
- "One of the reasons that we are an A school is because of our graduation rate, our ACT scores, and our strength of our diploma [index], and it’s because of these kids using Edmentum and catching up and us not letting them fall behind."
—Anne Burns, Curriculum Coordinator at Caldwell Parish High School
We’re constantly improving our programs based on your feedback. This summer was no different—in fact, we’re making some very exciting enhancements that you can learn more about here: Courseware Summer 2020 Enhancements.
Check back on our What’s New Page where you’ll always find details about recent releases and future feature previews coming to Courseware.
This post was originally published July 2019 and has been updated.