The Importance of Automating your Program
The Importance of Automating your Program
In today's educational environment, technology is a standard that can no longer be an optional component to classroom instruction. Implementing technology—whether it's Chromebooks, Google for Education, iPad tablets, or even BYOD (bring your own device)—is more than just getting students online. Data accessibility and portability are incredibly important to enriching the learning experience, and data interoperability is key to ensuring seamless access and accuracy of student data within a district's digital ecosystem.
Interoperability can be a flexible word in that it may mean different things to different people. Regardless of how you may define it, it's critical to ensure that the disparate systems in use within a district can securely share data in a way that maintains its integrity. Edmentum is committed to being your trusted partner in education, and we take data security and integrity very seriously. To that end, Edmentum programs offer a variety of integration options to facilitate any environment. Take a look at our integrations overview for a review of our capabilities.
Some of our key capabilities allow educators to:
- Share or consume data based on trusted IMS Global Standards: LTI, Thin Common Cartridge®, OneRoster®, etc.
- Automate student information system (SIS) data transfer processes with trusted third-party partners: Clever and ClassLink
- Develop your own fully automated data transfer with our RESTful API
With our most recent updates to our Clever and ClassLink partnerships, Study Island, Courseware, and Exact Path have consistent and robust integrations that can fully automate account setup and maintenance throughout the school year. District administrators can:
- Create, update, and manage users
- Create and update classes and rosters
- Manage students moving around the district
These features of automation don't remove the need for oversight and inspection. Districts will still need to provide administrative review to ensure that the integrations are maintained and that any conflicts are resolved. However, a data integration with Edmentum can provide additional flexibility for districts that want to streamline daily data management operations, reduce manual effort, and increase accuracy of data-entry processes.
In some cases, classroom teachers may bear the burden of managing class rosters and ensuring that students are where they need to be to receive the proper instruction. As a teacher, you may have implemented Edmentum programs and you would like to explore how you can partner with your district to make data management easier. Here are some tips for starting a technical conversation:
- Consider which tasks can be automated and which need to remain manual. Having a checklist of your feature requirements will set a solid foundation for meaningful conversations.
- Discuss data and technology early in the decision-making process. The most critical conversations happen early in the process and include technical, administrative, and instructional stakeholders.
- Involve technical advocates who can bridge any potential knowledge gaps. Edmentum provides access to Technical Engineers who understand how our programs work and how variables within a district can make an integration easier. We will design the best possible integration, meet needs of all users, and identify any potential risks.
Undertaking an integration will require considerable thought and planning. Rushing through decisions may raise risks to data integrity or the ability to use the programs successfully. That is why it’s important to keep a couple of things in mind as you plan:
- Have a good understanding of how your district policies govern sharing and exposing personally identifiable information (PII) for students and staff, as this is critical to any integration.
- Involve participants who understand the data structure in the district's SIS and other data sources, along with Edmentum partners who can translate that data to how it will interact with our Edmentum programs.
If you are interested in learning more or are ready to get started, reach out to your Edmentum Solutions Consultant or Partnership Manager. Call 800.447.5286, and choose the option 2 for Sales. Additionally, the Edmentum Customer Support team is ready to help! Your Technical Engineer will partner with you to design and implement the best solution, provide transition training, and ensure that the integration meets the needs of the district. Contact the Technical Engineer team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 800.447.5286 and choosing option 9 for Support.
Keep an eye out for part 2 of this discussion where we dig into more details of a Clever or ClassLink integration!